Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Venting and Wire Management

I decided to take a break from the joining and focus on two other areas of the design:  venting and wire management.

The electronics can be sensitive to heat, particularly the game consoles.  I wanted to be able to have things running but still keep the doors closed so I figured I should probably design in some venting.  Here's what I came up with:

1/4" vents in sides of cabinet
These are 1/4" slots spaced every inch.  I'm hoping this, in addition to vents out the back, will provide adequate air flow.  This looks good in the design but I'm still not sure if it's really feasible.  It's not going to be easy.  I learned from the joint tests that I won't be able to cut through 3/4" of wood in a single pass.  Which means making multiple passes (probably three) per slot and making 15 slots that all need to start and end the same distance from the edge and all be parallel to each other.  All without the router slipping at all.  So I'm trying to come up with some sort of jig to help keep the router lined up and reduce the chance of it wandering off course.

Moving on to wire management.  No matter how many times I try to organize the wires behind my existing TV stand it always ends up looking like a rats nest.  So with this cabinet I wanted to build in a system that would help keep the wires clean and organized and, most importantly, hidden.  I was racking my brain on how exactly to do this.  My first thought was a series of holes in the walls and shelves to run the wires through but I couldn't come up with a way to ensure that they would be hidden.  My second idea, I think, has more promise:

Two Backs!
By having a false back wall I can run the wires out and around the cabinet but still hide them.  The outer back wall will be removable and, in theory, slide into grooves in the sides and bottom and remain flush with the top.  The false back also gives me a surface to attach clips or eye screws to help keep the wires organized.  I still need to work out the location of the holes in both back walls.  Like I said earlier I think I want some venting in the back as well and that would, obviously, have to be through both walls.

That pretty much covers the major design features I think.  As always suggestions are welcome.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment