Thursday, November 3, 2011

Finally Starting to Build

It was tough to actually commit to cutting the real wood but this past weekend I finally decided to start building the cabinet.  Right now I'm just concentrating on making the cabinet itself and will hold off on the doors and drawer until that's mostly constructed.  So far there's not a whole lot to show.  I'm currently working on cutting out each piece which is taking some time.  In order to be as accurate as possible I'm cutting each piece slightly larger with the circular saw then trimming it down to the proper dimensions with the router.  The flush trim bit is coming in very handy for this, especially when I have to make multiple pieces exactly the same (sides, shelves, etc.).  Here's a few picts of the progress:

Cabinet pieces laid out in 4'x8' groups 
I laid out all of the pieces in SketchUp in groups of 4x8 sections to plan out how to cut each piece.  I ending up buying two sheets of 3/4" plywood and one sheet of 1/4" plywood for the back.  If all goes well that should be more than enough.

Raw materials
Using the router to trim the edges
Trimmed pieces so far:  Top, bottom, sides and middle shelf 
So I'm making progress slowly but surely.  I will post again once I have more interesting pictures.

2 comments:

  1. your the router master! i think you could probably build and plumb a house with a router and a tape measure.

    do you have a tablesaw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there! thanks for the comments. I, sadly, do not own a tablesaw. You have one? I'm looking at getting one but it looks like there's a few different varieties, tabletop/portable vs. small stand alone vs. the big pro-style (definitely out of my price range). I'd really just like to get something that's accurate. You have any brands or style you like?

    ReplyDelete