Saturday, August 27, 2011

Routers are Amazing

Why did I never learn about routers in shop class?  We used about 10 different kind of saws but they didn't even talk about routers.  It is such a versatile tool and incredibly precise.  I've been using a circular saw to make various cuts but getting a precise cut continues to elude me.  I'm usually off by about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch.  Trimming with a router on the other hand is much more consistent and exact.  You can also do some pretty cool things with it as long as you have the right bit, and there are an awful lot of bits.  The downside is they can get pretty expensive.

My dad, who has an extensive tool collection, let me borrow his router.  In fact he has let me borrow most of the tools used for this project.  It's really the only reason this project is cost effective.  So big thanks to dad.  Back to the router, since I had never used a router before I decided to read a book (also provided by Dad):


This book was really helpful for a beginner like me. It has a lot of useful information on the proper ways to use a router. The best part of the book I'd say was the projects.  Spielman includes several projects that get you familiar the different things you can do with a router.  The projects, when they're complete, are also really useful.  This included a bookcase, a workbench and a router table:
Simple bookcase

Workbench with detachable router table
Legs joined with mortise and tenon joints

So after reading through this book and using the router I went back to the design and worked in some of the joinery techniques to hopefully make a stronger, more professional looking cabinet.  I'll post some of the updates in the next entry.




2 comments:

  1. Did you make all of the things in the pictures above? Or where those examples that you dad made that you are showing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made 'em. A couple of starter projects before I tackle the main one. The bookcase is going to serve as a test of the dye on a larger scale. Although it's made of pine and not maple so it won't look exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete