Monday, November 18, 2013

New Toys

I thought I'd write a quick post on some of the new tools I've acquired.  When I started I really only had the router, a circular saw and a drill.  Over the past year and a half I've purchased some power tools to open up more possibilities for future projects.

One of the most difficult things to do with just a router and circular saw is cross-cutting thin stock.  So my first purchase was a compound miter saw:


This made the trim work on the coat rack base much easier.

Next was a purchase I hadn't intended to make.  Unfortunately, my favorite tool, my router, broke mid way through building the coat rack.  I was unable to get it repaired so I decided to purchase a new one.


The new Bosch is great.  Pretty similar specs to my old Ryobi router but much more convenient for switching between hand held and table mounted operating.  It can also use 1/2" shank bits whereas the Ryobi only used 1/4" shank bits  Though I do like the plunge system of the Ryobi better and I preferred the Ryobi's trigger style power switch to the Bosch's toggle switch.

Then I made the big purchase.  The definitive wood working power tool, the table saw:


I had been eyeing used table saws for awhile, never really wanted to pull the trigger though.  Even used table saws are pricey.  Then my wife and I were at a tag sale and it just so happened the guy across the street was selling off his whole shop.  I was pretty happy with model, nothing too fancy but a step up from the bench top and contractor models, and of course within the price I wanted to spend.

I've already started working on a project to get familiar with the table saw operations which I'll post more on later this week.

Lastly was another purchase from the tag sale, a thickness planer.  I couldn't resist and the price was right.


I'm pretty excited about these last two purchases.  With the table saw and the thickness planer I can actually buy rough cut lumber from a lumbar yard instead of the pre-cut boards from Home Depot and the like.  This opens up a lot more options with hard wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment