Sunday, March 30, 2014

Outfeed Table - Day 2

This morning I sat down to review my SketchUp plan and realized I had made a mistake in the way I had planned my cuts.  On my drawing the length of the long apron sides was six inches too short.  So that was disappointing but not really a big deal. I had some long pine boards lying around so I used those instead.  I guess that's the nice thing about building shop furniture.  Moving on...

With the legs glued up I began to assembly the two short sides of the table frame.


Clamping the side apron and shelf support

Two short sides complete

 Next, I clamped up the long apron sides and shelf supports to the two short sides.

Table frame all clamped up

Then, I encountered an unexpected delay...

Unexpected visit from the toddler safety auditor, she doesn't look impressed.

Once I was finally given the go-ahead I got back to work.  I finished screwing the frame together and placed the table top on to check for fitting.

Table top slightly over-sized, will be flush trimmed later
Lastly, I cut out the midsection supports but have yet to attach them.  One of the benefits to my earlier mistake was that it gave me enough wood to create an outer apron for the table top.  This will make the sides flush with the legs.  It wasn't something necessary I just thought it'd look better so I cut those out too.

So here's what's Left:

  • Attach midsection supports
  • Attach table top
  • Cut out shelf top
  • Attach shelf top
  • Attach outer apron
  • Flush trim table top
  • Cut out extension wing
  • Attach extension wing
  • Attach leveling feet
  • Sand & varnish table top
Overall I'm pretty happy with the work I got done in a weekend.  I wish I could have had everything assembled apart from the extension wing but the remaining tasks are things that I can knock out during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment