Friday, March 28, 2014

Upcoming Projects

My next projects are all going to be a bit more involved than the last few.  I'm hoping to get back into documenting as I build instead of just a single post at the end.  I actually have three different projects lined up and I'm going to try to overlap the work between them. I realized that when I get to the sanding part of each project I have a tendency to lose patience and rush it (I'm betting this is a fairly common thing with woodworkers).  My hope is that by having another project to build I can sand until I get bored then switch to building a little of the next project then go back to sanding the next day.  We'll see how it works.

So the first project is an outfeed table for my table saw.  After just a little experience with the table saw I already know I need one of these.  Ripping wood and having it start to fall off the table towards the end of the cut is cumbersome and a bit scary.  Here's the initial design:



The goal of this project is to do it quickly.  Since it's just shop furniture I'll be focusing on fast construction and minimal finishing.  I'll probably be using screws and angle brackets instead of nice joinery and I'll probably just finish the top surface.

The next project is a pantry organizer.  We want to replace the shelves in our current pantry with slide out drawers.
Current PantrySliding Drawer Design
In addition to being more convenient this should also almost double the usable space.  I'm hoping to try some dovetails for the drawer walls.

The final project is a toddler bed.  Our two year old is quickly outgrowing her crib and needs somewhere else to sleep.  My first draft is relatively simple, depending on how things go I may actually try to do some inlay work on the head and foot boards.


So the plan is to start this weekend.  I'm hoping I can get the majority of the outfeed table built in one weekend and move on to the other projects from there.


No comments:

Post a Comment